Old January 6th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

Default What is your response when...

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:56:43 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

What's your response when you tell someone you're going flying and they say
"Be careful."?

The dame as I expect when I tell someone headed into town, on a trip,
or the kids/grand kids going out to play. "OK", or "I'll try".

Be cqareful is not something specific to flying and it's a nautral
parting caution for almost any reason.

It hink we become far too sensitive to throughtful, parting comments.
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Roger (K8RI)

I know the comment is well intended, but I've seen some of these people
drive (and eat), and trust me, my flying is far safer than what they do to
themselves on a daily basis.

Mostly, I say "Thank you.", but from time to time, I go into a sermon about
how flying is pretty safe IF you don't do stupid things like run out of gas
or fly in conditions beyond your abilities. Then I realize I probably bored
someone or came across too strong and revert back to "Thank you".

And there are times I'm tempted to say "Naah, it would be the hilight of my
day to end up at the bottom a smoking hole in the airplane I built."