Old March 1st 04, 01:24 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Eclipsme" wrote in message

Is this true? It has been a bit since I have flown IFR, but it used to be
under 700ft agl - some places 1200ft, and outside of other controlled
airspace such as ATAs, the airspace was uncontrolled. There was quite
a bit of uncontrolled airspace out in Nevada, as I recall. This was
before the airspace revisions. Has this changed?

No, it was the same way before airspace reclassification. An IFR clearance
is required only in controlled airspace. You can fly IFR without a
clearance where you have sufficient uncontrolled airspace to do so, but you
don't have sufficient airspace where controlled airspace begins 700 or 1200
feet above the ground.