Old December 14th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default Contact Approach -- WX reporting

Dan wrote:

Since a contact approach requires the airport to have an IFR approach,
I fail to see the advantage of a contact approach. If visibility is at
1 mile, I think I would rather just fly the approach than pick around
for the airport in those conditions - too risky. Where is the
advantage? Following other traffic visually?

Suppose you're abeam the runway while being vectored for an IFR
approach when you sight the field. The current weather observation is
below VFR minimums so a visual approach is not available. Would a
contact approach present an advantage in that situation?