Old January 2nd 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default LASAR ignitions

In your position I would throw on a set of spanking new Slicks and be
done with it... They will outlast your ownership of the airplane... The
LASAR ignition, while nice, is not necessarily the answer to a maidens
prayer... Local fella put a set on his Warrior and on his twin
Commanche three years ago... He flys over 300 hours a year... Last time
I talked to him about the LASAR's he shrugged, said they work, but
weren't really any better than a pair of good mags and that he wouldn't
do it again because of the cost... Comments the he could buy a lot of
fuel for the price of the LASAR's.. Says he didn't see any change in
the fuel burn...

I have the old Bendix boxes on Fat Albert the Apache... Every pilot who
flies with me the first time comments about how easily the engines
start... A magneto with fresh parts, with a good impulse spring, and
the E gap and the timing set properly - and the carbs properly set up -
will start easily and run smoothly...

Then there is the issue of combustion burn speed... The engine and
propellor combination is tested and designed to work with the
combustion impulse from the cylinder charge being lit by the
magnetos... When you go to an electronic ignition that radically
changes the combustion impulse and the shock harmonics generated...
Whether that will make any difference in your airplane, I don't
know... Youse pays yer money and youse takes yer chances...

denny