Old January 4th 05, 12:40 PM
Gary Drescher

wrote in message ...

hsm wrote:

Can I descent below minimums on an intermediate stepdown segment of an
IFR approach if I have the runway enviroment in sight?
On a very steep approach such as the backcourse loc-A to Santa
Maria,CA, I would like to start descending below 1700 feet prior to
reaching PATER, in order to facilitate a more comfortable decent in
VMC. Legal or do I first need a visual approach clearance?

Having the runway environment is sight is one of two requirements. The
other is being in a position to make a normal descent for a normal
landing.

You're citing the rules for descending below an MDA or DA. But the question
is about descending below an intermediate fix.

That is somewhat your call depending upon the airplane. But,
you would be suggesting a shallow approach, which is far harder to justify
than a steep approach.

In this case, the suggestion is for a normal descent rate, rather than a
steep approach. (Again, though, the regulation that specifies a normal
descent rate is not pertinent here.)

--Gary