Old March 14th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

Default LPV vs LNAV/VNAV?

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:31:58 -0500, "Stan Prevost"
wrote:

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
.. .
On the approaches with which I am familiar, the interception
of the advisory vertical guidance with the MDA may be prior to a VDP,
although they are designed to cross at that point.

Ron, do you have any idea why the actual intercept is not at the designed
point?

Stan

Stan,

I miswrote. Actually, at KEPM, the vertical path does intercept the MDA at
the VDP for both GPS approaches. What I was thinking about when I wrote,
was that the VDP is further from the MAP than the minimum visibility for
the approach. (VDP is 1.3 NM from AER; visibility minimums is 1.0 NM)

For an interesting GPS GP, look at the Jepp chart, if you have it, for the
RNAV (GPS) RWY 28 at KPQI. The GP starts down about 0.3 NM after the FAF.
This appears to be done in order to meet a crossing altitude restriction
insice the FAF, and still have a profile that brings you to an appropriate
height closer in to the runway.