Old August 17th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

Charles Vincent wrote:

No. You can increase the angle of attack, which increases the lift ( to
a limit) and also increases the drag, which must be overcome with more
power. If your speed drops, so does the lift. If you could increase
your aspect ratio, you could get more lift at the same speed at the same
power I think. So I guess Richard is flying a swing wing texas
parasol.;') For the rest of us, we have to add power to carry more
weight at the same speed and altitude. Since most planes lose weight
while in flight in the real world, you actually have the opposite issue.

Charles

Don't be snotty, Charles.

Since the subject is an electrically powered aircraft, the weight issue
is not trivial. That's been my issue with this thread from the start.

The constraints given here were to fly at the same speed and altitude
but at a higher weright.

You can increase lift via increased angle of attack only as far as
CLmax. No Farther. (You seem to have that part right)

Beyond that any increased weight will require increased wing area.

Aspect ratio alone won't answer is most cases.

And - an electric powered plane would NOT lose weight in flight.

No electrons are "consumed" - no change in battery weight.