Old October 27th 19, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LX Era 80 vs S80/S100

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 9:18:31 AM UTC+1, krasw wrote:
On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 9:44:55 AM UTC+3, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I'm thinking of upgrading my SDI C4 e-vario this winter in my DG-100. With limited space, I would be going for an 80mm one.

I've seen some different options, like the LX S80/S100 and Era 80, but fail to see many differences.

For what I do know from the cumulus-soaring.com comparison page is that the Era 80 has GPS built in, is IGC approved and has a built in backup battery. Also, the Era seems to support 1 needle at a time, while the S80/S100 can do netto/relative/McCready needles at the same time.

Would you suggest one above the other? Any other features to compare that I'm missing?

Help would be appreciated!

I've flown S80 and first thing I did was to get rid of clutter of several needles.

I would add Air Glide S to the list. You get the very good inertial netto that is not availabe on others, and a product that is made to look and feel like real aircraft instrument.

Air Avionics are stopping making the Air Glide vario/nav systems - as reported on https://streckenflug.at/