Old August 8th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fonz

Default Drilling out old rivets questions?

Yep I know it will remain earthbound, but I don't.
I want to use this as practise for something that will sprout wings, so I'd
rather stuff up the sim, and have less problems with the real thing. I
don't mind opinions or people throwing in their 2cents, as eventually it
will total a dollar, and that dollar might be saved in the future with less
stuff-ups.
Regards,
Rob
"stol" wrote in message
On Aug 7, 4:35 am, "Fonz" wrote:
G'Day all.
I have a Cessna 310L cockpit which I will be converting to a simulator.
I wish for it to stay as authentic as possible, including method of
construction and cosmetics.
As such I have to repair/replace and modify some aluminium panels.
My question:
What is the best way to remove solid rivets?
(I have been told to drill lightly into the little dimple of either the
universal or flush rivet, and then use the shank end of the same size bit
bend/peel top off. After that just pop it out.)

What size drills should I use?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I should be using for
installing.
Should I use the same fro removal?
3/32 #40 drill Silver cleco
1/8 #30 drill Copper cleco
5/32 #21 drill Black cleco
3/16 #10 drill Brass cleco

Hopefully this will be good practise for me, as one day I'd love to build
an
RV.

Many thanks in advance for any advice provided.
Rob.
Melbourne Australia.

Heck, it is a simuator.. It will be earthbound forever. Do whatever it
takes to remove and replace them that doesn't take alot of time....
Drilling them out with the same size drill bit is the fastest and who
cares if you oblong the hole a little..
Just my opinion ya know...

Ben.
www.haaspowerair.com