Old June 10th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

Default Oshkosh Camping - Battery Power

"Tom McQuinn" wrote in message

I have a bit of experience with PV systems and normally I never discourage a
charge controller but here goes...

For occasional camping duty, I don't know if you really need a charge controller
with that setup. You will only get full output from that panel when it is
directly pointed at the sun, and then the national average is something like
five hours per day (effective full sun hours). That optimistically comes to
something like 70 watt-hours per day from that panel. In four or five days of
camping and with normal loads, you are unlikely to seriously overcharge your
battery. If fact, it is more likely that you would damage your battery by
continuously draining it flat.

If you still insist on a controller, the one you found would do the job just
fine.

Vaughn