Old January 7th 11, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Chapman

Default poor lateral control on a slow tow?

On Jan 3, 11:11*am, Doug Greenwell wrote:
At 23:11 02 January 2011, John Chapman wrote:

At what speed are you using 40deg of flap?

In a descent I would think you are likely to be closer to the tug wake
than in a climb-

Hi Doug, Sorry about my slow response. Anyway, the 40 degrees of flap
was used at a descent on tow speed of about 65 mph. A Cessa 182 with
a lot of flap seems fairly stable in descent at this speed, but
produces a large wake which seems to really affect the short wing SGS
2-33 glider. We have also done the same exercise with a G-103 and an
ASK-21. The glass ships seem more stable on descent behind a full
flap 182. I suspect this is due to the greater wing span. All
gliders seem more controlable behind a Piper Pawnee which does not
need as much flap (20 degrees?) in descent at 65 mph. Cheers, John
Chapman, c 805 402-4238