Old March 17th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Standard Cirrus

On Mar 16, 6:55*pm, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
Okay folks, your thoughts on the Standard Cirrus? *Good, bad
indifferent? *Flying tail, pros and cons? *I am new to gliding,
Commercial Add on, 140 flights and approx 100 hours, mostly in 1-34.
Would this be a reasonable next step?

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

The combination of CG hook and a tail skid or small tail wheel can
make takeoffs more demanding in a cross wind than for gliders with
nose hooks and decent size tail wheels. It that respect it's probably
no different from the ASW 19 that I have many hours in.

I have not yet flown either of my club's standard Cirri but I have
towed them and been quite alarmed by the lateral excursions seen in my
mirrors on takeoff roll.

Before attempting a cross wind takeoff suggest you talk to someone
that actually knows how position the glider on the runway and how to
use the controls. Hint - the glider should be positioned towards the
upwind side of the runway and pointed downwind. Full downwind rudder
should be applied before moving and held until it becomes effective.
The angle to head the glider downwind, and the offset upwind of center
line, depend on the magnitude of the crosswind, the width of the
runway and the tendency of the glider to weather-vane.

This technique allows the full width of the runway to be used twice
and the glider glider should be under control and tracking straight
before returning to the upwind side of the runway. If it isn't a
release is called and the next attempt is made with a bigger lateral
offset and/or larger heading downwind.

It's not nearly as difficult as the description may make it sound.
Some people seem to have a problem holding full downwind rudder when
the glider is already heading downwind at the start of takeoff roll
but it is essential to maintaining control.

Andy