Old June 23rd 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.marketplace,rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

Default Aeronca 11AC Chief Project FS

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 14:10:15 -0700 (PDT), Victor Bravo
wrote:

Have a look at the Zenair 601XL, where an airframe KIT costs you $20K.
Now look at the unfortunate and tragic problems the 601 is having with
the wings folding in flight, and compare it to an airplane with a 60
year safety record, full commercial FAA certification, and tell me
that this is not a reasonable bargain.

Wings folding in flight??
New one on me. The ONE I'm aware of had bolts not properly installed.
The other one, the wings were torn off when a couple of
drug-compromized idiots put it into a dive or something that GREATLY
exceeded VNE and tried to pull it out, or something like that.
The Aeronca Champ would have suffered the same fate in both cases.

That said, the Champ IS a great plane, at can be a great value as
well.