Old December 15th 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Buy Glider without looking

The last glider I sold, the buyer came to inspect the ship.Â* It was
clear he was a good guy from the USA so I accepted his personal check
for a down payment.Â* I agreed to deliver the glider half way to his
place and he wired the remaining funds into my account before I left
Moriarty.Â* I didn't ask for that; it just worked out that way with
banking hours, etc.Â* We met in a motel parking lot in Kingman, AZ, we
and our wives shared dinner, he paid for dinner and our rooms, and we
parted as friends, both of us happy.Â* My wife and I also enjoyed the
road trip down old Route 66 through Peach Springs, AZ.Â* Do you remember
Burma Shave ads?

On 12/14/2017 11:07 PM, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 5:38:00 PM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 5:32:09 PM UTC-6, Casey wrote:

So my conclusion is either; 1) scammers are hitting Wings and Wheels,

Yes, they are. Have been for a long time. They have also cruised soaridaho. Most recent inquiry on HP-14 projects I have listed there (listing from 2010!) started off sounding maybe real. Second e-mail from him had a pdf attached. I responded with "Now, why on earth would I open a pdf from someone who is wanting to buy something from me? Try again, buddy." Poof! He was gone.

Some who are real will seem fake, and some who are fake may seem real. Answer inquiries, sort out, and be cautious.

Steve Leonard

Weeding out the scammers is, unfortunately, a necessity these days when selling high valued goods. Have them provide a banking reference (bank, name, address). They will have to have this to complete the transaction; if they balk they're likely scammers. The other option is to have them show up at your location with cash - scammers will NEVER do that. Bottom line: only accept a wire transfer of their funds into your account (NO cashier's checks unless you KNOW the buyer). This cuts thru all of the bull****. That is what I did on the last gliders I bought and sold.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J