Old December 15th 03, 04:29 AM
Cy Galley

Boy, You are in luck as we never charge and fix most everything that no one
plans for. But we only work for pleasant people, people who become our
"plane" friends.
--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh for 32 years
Editor, EAA Safety Programs

Always looking for articles for the Experimenter

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...
In article l83Db.539930$HS4.4109702@attbi_s01,
Cy Galley wrote:
WHY DIDN'T HE MAKE ADVANCE ARRANGEMENTS to ship _his_own_ fuel there?

Using that rational, everyone should ship repair parts and tools to

possible
landing places like The Oshkosh convention just in case they have a

problem.
--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh

*IF*AND*WHEN* Oshkosh has a _published_policy_ of =not= providing

services,
and there's nobody "in the neighborhood" who will, for hire, deliver

services
on site, then "yes", it'd be a *damn* good idea.

The point is, you *CHECK*FIRST*. _IF_ services *are* available on-site,

no
problem. *IF*NOT*, you damn well better make 'alternate arrangements',

"just
in case". It's known as "insurance".

There are only a couple of possible scenarios:
1) He *DID*NOT* plan for 'what to do' in the case of problems with the
flight. Problems then developed, and he 'got lucky' and survived.
2) He _did_ consider 'what to do' in the case of problems, and McMurdo
was a *planned* emergency alternative. If so, Johnson either didn't
check on services availability, didn't care that it was published

that
services wee *not* available, or assumed the published rules "didn't
apply" to him.

In either scenario, I have a very difficult time seeing how is is

_possible_
to consider the fault to lay anywhere _other_ than with Johnson. Looks to

me
like the issue is 100% of _his_own_making_.

*DUE*TO*BAD*AND/OR*INSUFFICIENT*
*PLANNING* for contingency situations.

_Anyone_ who travels to/through/across "uninhabited" territory,

by -whatever-
means, better have plans for what to do 'if things go wrong'. It doesn't
matter if it's flying across Antarctica, sailing across the Pacific,

driving
across the desert, or going for a hike in the mountains, the principle is

the
same. If those contingency plans involve "somebody else" bailing you out

of
a jam, it is STUPID _not_ to verify that they are 'ready, willing, and

able'
to do so, *before* setting out.

Johnson appears to have failed badly at this basic element of project

planning.