Old September 14th 04, 07:51 AM
Vernon Klukas

5. Galvanic corrosion .. magnesium is at -1.6 V and alumnium at -0.75 V on
the galvanic table. That is a big different. You definitely need something
to separate the two or the magnesium is going to get gobbled up !!

Hmm, perhaps. I get that aluminum alloy is about -1.05. But look at
the difference between Cast Iron (-.5) and aluminum (-1.05). Lots of
cars, with WATER running through their engines, have cast iron blocks
and aluminum heads. In this situation, there is no ready source of
electrolyte. I don't see this as a huge concern. I'm more bothered
by oil leaks.

Auto engines have head gaskets between the electro different metals,
plus if you don't run an inhibitor is a mutli-metal water cooled engine
you will corrode the aluminum away, period.

Yours
Vern