Old May 7th 05, 02:09 PM
Dylan Smith

In article au2fe.55730$NU4.36038@attbi_s22, Jay Honeck wrote:
But I, as opposed to many, have faith that the economic system will
"provide" us with the solution, as it did when petroleum supplanted whale
oil. If I had to guess at this early stage, I'd say that the solution will
be hydrogen -- but there's really no way to tell.

I'd guess more diesel-type fuels; trouble with hydrogen is it's
difficult to store, difficult to handle, costs lots of energy to make
(either with oil directly or by electrolyis). Diesel-type fuels on the
other hand can be made from biological products (such as algae - that
way you could have an industrial manufacturing process instead of an
agricultural one), and would not require a vast replacement of existing
infrastructure. Jet engines already run on a type of diesel fuel. So do
Thielert GA diesels.

We already run our glider club diesel vehicles on used cooking oil
kindly donated by one of the pubs...

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net