Old July 8th 03, 10:22 PM
Alan Lothian

In article , Cecil Turner
wrote:

Alan Lothian wrote:

The US invented, funds, and houses the UN.

Not all on its own, alas. Some of us (re invention) on this side of the
Atlantic have to take our share of the blame. And no, you don't "fund"
the UN; generally speaking, you are very remiss on your subscription.

Yes, but the US is most blameworthy on the subject. As far as funding goes,
the US
provides ~22% of regular budget and 27% of peacekeeping. And the dues in
arrears were
the result of holding back the 3% in dispute when the first number went from
25 to 22%.
AFAIK the US never provided less than 22%, which is of course more than any
other nation
(and far more than anyone besides Japan). I don't believe there are any
arrears at this
point, other than possibly the perennial ones as the result of budget cycles
not being
coincident. Contrast that to the list of countries that haven't paid dues in
two years
on the UN website, and it appears to be not much of an issue.

This is all pretty well true; if there are nitpicks, I will let other
people get on with them. Even in my most euroextreme mode (I know
where I left it, I'll find it in a minute) I can't blame the Murrikans
for everything.

But... (whimpers and squeaks) having just pinned my heart to my sleeve
answering some dreadful Gringo troll on an off-topic, flamebait thread,
I was looking for just the tiniest bit of support from the other side
of the Atlantic. Typical Brit, eh?

OK, by UseNet standards I am big and ugly enough to look after myself,
but...

--
"The past resembles the future as water resembles water" Ibn Khaldun

My .mac.com address is a spam sink.
If you wish to email me, try alan dot lothian at blueyonder dot co dot uk