Old March 4th 04, 09:10 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

ArtKramr wrote:

ubject: A Letter from my co-pilots niece
From: "Brian Colwell"
Date: 3/3/04 3:24 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

This letter came this morning. It makes having a website worthwhile.

Dear Art,
My name is Cheryl (Monson) Guthrie, Bob's niece. Firstly, I can barely

contain

myself as I am overwhelmed with emotion finding and reading your website.

After

he passed away, the War pictures and treasures were found, something he

NEVER

spoke of. Years ago I had planned on contacting one or all of your group

help me find out any information, but life got busy and went on. His

pictures

are so incredible, but I don't know what most of them are. I never lost my
curiosity to get to know my favorite person in the world a bit better. As

you

know, he was a quiet man, and way too much was left unsaid. As he got

older, he

did let it leak out how much it meant to him to get together with your

group.

Ironically, he was the one who started us saying "I love you" (out loud)

in our

family.
Recently I was looking for something for my mom when I came across a trunk

that

must have belonged to my Grandmother. In it, amongst other things, was a
handwritten letter to my grandparents speaking of his visit (2nd?) to

Dachau

after the war was over. The reality quite chilling. Reading his words

prompted

me to get out his military papers and start searching again for stories.

There

is so much I want to know.
I found a website that you can send away for a history of missions, but

never

heard back. This morning, I somehow ran into your website & recognised

your

name. (I remembered the names Kramer & Shorts) Thank you so much, this is
unbelieveable!
If you would ever be willing to talk to me, I would love it and appreciate

it.

Hope this finds you in good health.
As my son nears age 18 (born on my/his Uncle's birthday) it truly amazes

me

what so many young men did for mankind so many yrs ago. May I sincerely

thank

you for your contributions to our freedoms.
Cheryl
Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Art,
Thanks for sharing that with us....It's very touching and must be very
rewarding for you to be able to help fill in some blank spaces regarding his
service with the 344th, for Bob's niece.

Thanks again,
BMC

The letter has me in a bit of shock. I have been thinking how to answer it and
it will be a long and complicated answer. There is much to tell her about Bob
that occured during the war that she may not be aware of. I keep thinking of
"Bob's Story" on my website and wondered how it may have effected her. I am
almost afraid to ask.I never meant it to be read by any of Bob's relatives.
The war has us by the throat and won't let go. (sigh)

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

A couple of things come to mind Art. I'm sure she has a gazillion
questions. Why not let her create the path of discussion. It might
make coming up with the answers easier. Maybe along the way you can
point to a direction or two and see if she wants to travel that way. A
simple "Of course I would love to talk to you. What would you like to

The other thought is, with her permission, it would be nice to see the
letter from her up on your web site. Who knows? It might prompt other
folks to come forward!