Old May 6th 19, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Buying a Glider

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 10:19:22 AM UTC-4, wrote:
There a many misunderstandings about expimentals. I'm not the expert either, but I am often amazed by the owners that think they can legally experiment with changes to an experimental glider.

An experimental glider has to be maintained per its operating limitations instructions, which usually says per manufacturers instructions.

Experimental homebuilt is a different animal than experimental aircraft that are manufactured.

I have a PIK 20 with an experimental certificated, and I do an annual for the owner of a standard certificated PIK 20.
As mentioned before, I depends on how it was certified when imported.

If one is intending to do modifications it is much easier to do in the experimental category. Such changes likely require moving the ship back to Phase 1 flight test until test requirements are flown off, then returning to phase 2 flight ops.
I have moved ships to experimental from standard for this purpose and then left in experimental.
UH