Old September 17th 19, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al McNamara[_4_]

Default Ventus C vs LS6

At 18:35 28 August 2018, Marshall Woodford wrote:
I=E2=80=99m looking for a cross county glider. The Ventus C comes with
17.=
5 and 15 winglets. It also has factory tips. The LS6 has low hours and
th=
e wings and horizontal stab was refinished and painted. The fuselage is
in=
good condition and original. Both have Cobra trailers and the

Ventus=E2=
=80=99s trailer is in better condition. The other is road worthy. Which
o=
ne?

I have much more time in the Ventus than LS, but to a certain extent think
it depends on what you want from it. In straight performance terms, I
think if flown well, the Ventus will win out, but is much more work to get
right, and can bite if you don't. The LS is easier to fly and (in my
opinion) less twitchy (particularly in 15m).

The LS Cockpit is smaller and narrower, so might be more uncomfortable - I
think the ergonomics in the Ventus are better for a larger pilot. Try
sitting in both (or better still flying if the opportunity is there) and
seeing which is more comfortable.

With no data to back this up, my impression is that when both were new, the
Ventus would have been top of the pile, but as time has gone on, the LS has
worn better, and is now more desirable with handling/feel being more
important than overall performance for most.