Old April 27th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

Default Going to New York City

"Roy Smith" wrote ...

"Mike Isaksen" wrote:

The Atlantic FBO chain has a long standing legal dispute with
AirNav about publishing fuel prices. Seems AirNav lets customers update
fuel
prices and Atlantic doesn't want prices shown. So therefore Atlantic
doesn't
show up on AirNav.)

DO they really have a legal leg to stand on with this? Do I not have a
right to tell people how much I paid for gas someplace?

I learned this last summer when I emailed AirNav to ask why Atlantic wasn't
listed. I got back a very prompt reply from AirNav explaining that they were
served with legal papers from Atlantic's attorney. AirNav has been around a
while but is really a small operation and wisely won't (can't afford to)
litigate on principle.
I didn't believe what I was told so I asked one of the Atlantic managers and
he confirmed that "Atlantic had a lot of problems with the AirNav site". He
seemed very knowledgeable on the issue, mentioned that Atlantic operates
numerous FBOs, and was getting continuous negative customer feedback
(complaints) that they were being charged different rates than posted on
AirNav. I guess they took the easy solution and cancelled their ad payments.
I never followed up on why AirNav doesn't have a commercial advert listing
without fuel prices. The stories I got were remarkably consistent though, so
that's my story and I'm sticking to it.