Old August 7th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Default HARBOR FREIGHT QUALITY

I generally agree but I have bought unusable tools from HF. An example is a
tap and die set which contained taps and dies that didn't match any known
thread, metric or SAE. As it happened, the one size I needed when I bought
the set (M8 x 1.25) was useable. I discovered the bad ones when I had long
since lost the receipt. Anyway, the set cost little more than a single tap
from a machine supply company so I didn't lose more than the trip to HF.

I decided that taps and dies need to be sufficiently accurate that they
should be sourced from known reliable vendors even if at a higher price.

Then there was the electric metal shear that disintegrated upon its first
contact with sheet metal. The motorcycle was still warm from the trip to HF
when that happened - they happily replaced the unit. I just lost two hours
work.

"BobR" wrote in message
I have bought a number of different tools from Harbor Freight and thus
far been satisfied with all of them. No, they are not the top end
tools but all have been good value for the use intended. I see no
reason to pay top end dollars for tools that will only receive light
and infrequent usage. The engine hoist I paid $99 for has been just
as good as one the guy in the hangar down from me paid over $250 for.
That cheap ($199) tile saw I bought worked great and I later found
that many professional tile installers use the very same saw. The air
tools I bought have all performed upto expectations too. I will add
though, I don't buy from their catalogue but from a local store which
allows me to examine the tool before purchase.

Bob Murray wrote:
Their electrical tools don't seem to last very long.
However.............

Eleven years in the aviation industry, and everybody in the shop swore
by:
1- Die grinders $9.95 to $14.95 vs Dotco, I-R, etc at $150.00 - Lasts
just
as long if you oil daily.
2- 6" digital caliper $14.95 vs Mititoyou at $79.95 and up - Just as
accurate (checked with gage blocks)
3- Digital voltmeter, $4.95 with battery vs Fluke, etc.at $79.95 - Works
fine, and you can't buy the batteries for the Fluke at that price.

YMMV
Bob
wrote in message
Someone wrote: 'YOUR OUT OF YOUR F**KING MIND' ...with regard to
suggesting people buy ANYTHING from Harbor Freight.

I disagree.