Old June 7th 19, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Oops

On 6/6/19 6:32 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 7:15:41 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
... Not funny.

I agree. I'm very happy that the pilot was not seriously injured.

Here's a totally serious question.

Was this the first ever 'off-airport' landing for a FES glider?

Don't know about FES, but overconfidence in the power source has been a
chronic problem in the motorglider world. May be the first, won't be
the last.

Trying to keep an open mind until all the facts are out, but it sounds
like he got himself down in the weeds over unlandable terrain and
assumed the motor would bail him out. Not how a competent instructor
would teach it.