Old August 12th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
nestofdragons

Default Electric motor for hang glider

I do not want to spool the fun here, but ... whichs formulas did you
use to get those figures? I used some basic formulas and totally get
other figures. OK, I assume a bad efficienty of the prop and took it
for safety at 50%. I get for 10,5 glide ratio, 1300 N total weight, 16
m2 surface, climb rate of 2m/s --- needed power of about 10 kW!

I used some rough formulas found in a book which tells the basic
calculations rather very easy. So ... my estimate might be a bit rough.
But the difference between your estimate and mine is soo large that I
fear that one of us is ... euh ... wrong.

Ok, I am not a engineer. But I wanted to follow this item because it
interests me TOTALLY! If we would succeed in making a possible kit for
hanggliders we would at last have a way to get airborne at soaring
height with a system that is more reliable and less annoying for the
surroundings. AT LAST a way to counter those endless complaints that
get small airfields closed by orders from communities. And ... at last
a way to get airborne without the need for a entire club and the need
for a official airstrip.

Please, guys, continue this search for a electrical powered hangglider.
I keep following it.