Old August 7th 03, 12:34 AM
The Enlightenment

) wrote in message . com...
As usual I mixed up terminology. Sorry about that. Therefore the
conclusion so far is that the pilots telling these stories only
assumed that this technique worked. If anything worked in that attack,
it was something else. And please do not birng in other craft and
calibers. P-47/51 were not armed with 20/30/40/75 mm cannons.

There would have been experiments presumably.

There's a very interesting article about the effectiveness of Il-2
against heavy armor. Even though when anyone says Il-2 people
automatically think tank-buster, the effectiveness was nearly
negligent. If they got any, it was by massive application of firepower
or luck. They were excellent against soft targets with rockets, bombs
and guns though. That article could be found at
www.batllefield.ru
somewhere. Unfortunately, I could not find it just now. The site is
mostly armor oriented.

The favoured method for FW190s attacking soviet heavy armour over the
steppes was to fly over the top of the tank and release a 250KG bomb.
This would slide along the ground and impact on the tank. It was
considered an accurate method.