Old August 7th 14, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default World Championship gliders

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:42:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I think we could address a number of concerns by moving to a one design competition format utilizing the Schweizer 2-33A sailplane. Each competitor would be towed aloft and once everyone was airborne, the contest would begin. Competitors would be scored based on Altitude Gained after the start, Time Aloft after the start and then the Accuracy of their Spot Landings upon return. All of the competitors would need to remain within sight of the Glider Field so that spectators would be able to watch and enjoy the competition.

This would provide a level playing field, a format which involves the spectators which will help promote the sport, eliminate far away land-outs and retrieves, provide aspiring soaring students an attainable type of competition that they could soon participate in. I think, in some ways, it may provide a true test as to who the BEST glider pilot really is.

It's called the Snowbird and it happens every Thanksgiving in Elmira.
Been going on for more than 60 years.
Make a joke out of it but folks do have fun.
UH