Old May 3rd 20, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Default Flight Review in single place glider

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 6:57:00 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Any chance that FAA would allow (the flying portion of) Flight Reviews to be completed with the CFI standing on the ground? Would this not be as good as or better than the CFI sitting in the backseat?

I'm not a CFI, but I don't see the magic in having the CFI in the backseat. What could not be accomplished with a preflight briefing of expectations, a radio, and maybe a pair of binoculars and/or *.igc flight log review? And/or a CFI-tuggie could fly the tow plane, observe the aerotow from that position and maybe even observe the glider pilot from the air.

Let's just let everybody expire and then wait for the FAA to come up with a sensible policy to address it.

Maybe the clubs can function as a private enterprise, close off access to everybody who isn't an influential member, then fold when the **** hits the fan.