Old July 17th 03, 12:30 AM
Chuck Price

"Marty Ross" wrote in message t...
Thanks for the details!!

Columbia sounds like a no-miss opportunity, I'll definitely try to include
it.

About that turf runway -- I'm surprised to hear people use it. What
condition is the turf in, and would one just use traditional "soft field"
takeoff and landing? I would not want to use it since I've never actually
done a "soft field" operation, and I'll be in a rented plane (probably
invalidates the insurance), so I'll just pay close attention to the winds
for 17/35.

(I attempted to post previously, apologies if two similar messages
appear)

Skip the turf, land on the paved runway.

You will be flying into a mountainous area, so if you have not had
mountain training, you should at least review such factors as density
altitude and mountain turbulence.

Columbia is only at about 2000', but with the heat we've been having
you'll have to consider your density altitude. Your planes wings will
think they are higher, and your takeoff distance will be affected.
There is plenty of runway at Columbia, so you need not be concerned
about whether you can get out or not - just don't try to yank the poor
plane off the ground before it is ready to fly!

Also you will have a new set if visual distractions if you haven't
flown in this type of terrain - there is a beautiful canyon you'll be
flying your pattern over, and the runway is not quite perfectly flat.
You'll see this on final, and you shouldn't let it distract you. It
isn't enough to affect anything about your landing.

Don't be surprised by chop in the pattern if there is wind blowing.

Regarding Harris Ranch: A centerline is the same on a 150' runway as
it is on a 30' runway. If you can hit the centerline consistently on a
150' runway, you can hit hit it consistently on a 30' runway. All that
extra width is wasted on our little planes anyway.

You can use your ODF (Olfactory Direction Finder) to find Harris
Ranch. Just fly up I-5 at 2000' until you smell it. Look down, and
there you are! :-) Note that the smell is not of steaks on the grill,
but steaks on the hoof! :-(

-chuck