Old February 3rd 17, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default US club class definition

I recall when Carl Herold started the handicapping system for the US in 1972 (or about that time). He did not use the manufacturer numbers for the ship but rather the performance achieved in contests (back in those days it was racing to specific turnpoints which put more of the glider on the same course, in similar air).

He discounted the handicap when the glider was flown by an experienced (high scoring competitor) and increased the handicap if the model was doing well in the hands of new competitors.

I don't know what the "calculations" were, but in the beginning it was a rough cut which was refined year after year through the early '80's (I think) when others took over the task of assigning handicaps. I know that if a particular design was not commonly flown in competition the result was less useful.

I'm sure someone will correct me for the things I've forgotten, but that is the way I remember Carl explaining it.

Mike