Old March 6th 20, 07:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Aviation Traders Carvair

In article , Mitchell Holman
says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_Traders_Carvair
The accident at Griffin in the United States in April 1997
involved
the fifth production Carvair which suffered catastrophic engine
failure during the takeoff run and failed to become properly
airborne. The aircraft crashed into a vacant Piggly Wiggly
supermarket past the airport perimeter, killing both pilots.

Who else remembers the most famous
Carvair, the one used by...Auric Goldfinger?

As a military dependent back in the day, I've flown in a C-54...one
word...noisy!!...four Pratt/Whitney radials and no sound insulation
will leave your ears ringing after a long flight.

I have heard the Tu 114 failed as an airliner
because it was so loud that passengers refused to
book trips on it. Even submerged submarines could
hear it pass overhead.

Back in the 60s, my father would fly anything available he was rated in just to
qualify for his monthly flight pay...often it would be an old B-25. He hated
'em because his ears rang so bad my mother would have to speak louder than
normal for him to understand her.

When I went into Army aviation, at least we had helmets...his generation was
stuck with just earphones (and according to the movies...a 50 mission crush
hat!)

*