Old January 3rd 21, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Updated Florida Spring Forecast

Yes, good soaring in the Florida spring and good restaurants, most with outside dining.
I was in South Florida and the Keys cruising highway A1A last week
listening to Jimmy Buffett's "Banana Wind" CD, one of his best.

Some of my favorite restaurants where we dined, south from Key West north to Palm Beach:
Sunset Pier in Key West. (Shrimp flatbread while watching for the green flash at sunset.)
Bayside Grille in Key Largo. (Lobster tacos.)
Sea Siam Thai, in my old neighborhood of South Miami (Shrimp Pad Thai.)
Sky Thai on Las Olas Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale (Lobster Pad Thai.)
Hooters on the Ocean along the A1A strip where I spent summers in my youth.
Quarterdeck Cafe in Fort Lauderdale (Lobster burger.)
Dune Deck Cafe on the beach in Lantana (Lobster omelette.)
Benny's On The Beach in South Palm Beach (Lobster bagels.)
The Seafood Bar Restaurant in the historic Breakers Hotel on Palm Beach.
(This would be the "classy" place. Fabulous seafood linguini.)
All but 3 of the above were on the water.
Stay off I-95. Just follow highway A1A.

The Atlantic Seabreeze Front formed up midday and moved inland to converge with the
Gulf of Mexico Seabreeze Front in the middle of the Florida peninsula.
Long cloud streets offshore over the warm water of the Atlantic Gulfstream in the evening.
Another long cloud street formed over the narrow Florida Keys
which was always tempting to me to fly my Open Cirrus
from our Compton Ranch Gliderport in South Miami, southwest to Marathon Key,
and local Keys gent Chris Schraeder can confirm if you doubt the possibility!
I didn't get north up A1A to see Bob Youngblood near Vero Beach this trip, but I can assure you
it is worth a visit to Florida for some interesting soaring.
Yes the cloudbases in the cloudstreets can be a bit low but nearly every cu has a thermal.
Just follow the hawks, eagles, osprey and woodstorks!