Old September 17th 03, 04:29 PM
Ron Natalie

"Anthony Chambers" wrote in message ...
I've spent the past couple of hours researching this in the regs and
newsgroups... and am still a little confused

If I require an alternate airport for a IFR Flight plan, does that alternate
have to have official weather reporting? I read somewhere that:

The rule is:
(c) IFR alternate airport weather minima. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator,
no person may include an alternate airport in an IFR flight plan unless appropriate weather
reports or weather forecasts, or a combination of them, [600-2, 800-2, or VFR from MEA down
as appropriate].

Whether you can glean this from area forcasts in the absence of on-field reporting is
up for you to decide (as a non-commercial operator). Airports without weather that
have approaches will generally have NA Alternate Minimums.