Old December 29th 07, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fredsez

Default CFIs

Where are the CFIs?
Without enough good CFIs... the number of new soaring pilots will
decline.
A potential CFI asked me what is the first requirement to become a
CFI? Perhaps I didn't think of the FARs, but my answer was; "You need
a strong desire to teach".

Some CFIs need to build flying time to get an ATP job. Some cannot
afford to fly at all, so they fly as CFIs just to enjoy the life of
flying. Most glider sites are remote from city life, and offer less
attractions to young pilots as a full time job.

Glider sites cannot afford the real estate costs of nearby city life.
Most cannot offer housing that is affordable. A well paid glider CFI
earns more per hour than a comparable SEL instructor is paid, but
where can he live? Where is life?...(females)

Instructor pay is the smallest part of a students cost to learn to
fly. Good clubs, for example; TSA south of Fort Worth, seems to have
solved the problem.

The top pay or cost to the student for an instructor runs about $57
per hour. A popular instructor, flying at a good operation may earn
about $32,000 per year. An Auto mechanic at a dealers shop will do
much better.

Where are the instructors? Fred