Old December 19th 11, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Default question on VOR intersections

(Edward A. Falk) wrote in
:

As a previous poster pointed out, you can find that information at
airnav.com (an excellent resource, btw), but that's not how real flying
works.

In practice, you don't fly direct from waypoint to waypoint unless you
have a GPS, and even then you think twice before you do it.

That's the problem with not having 'real' lessons or experience,
so I don't know how it's done in real life.

The normal IFR flying procedure, especially in low-altitude aircraft,
is to follow the victor airways.

I generally am, but what I've found is I need to intercept the
airway after takeoff, and there's usually a waypoint nearby,
or in a recent case, the airway changes direction at a waypoint.

or download one from the FAA.
The disadvantage of downloading is that your screen isn't as big as a
paper chart, and you'll need a second screen while you're running the
flight sim program.

Well, since it is only a sim, expiring charts aren't much of an
issue as the sim will not change. And I have twin 1080p's. I
have downloaded sectionals from the FAA and throw them on the
other monitor. It's no big deal to scroll and zoom a bit. I've
got good graphics editing software.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?