Old June 3rd 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WC

Default Which Ultralight to build.....

"WC" wrote in message ...
OK, was planning on building a Texas Parasol (as you've probably seen
from
my previous posts) but it's looking like it may not be a very good design
for a legal 103. That being the case, what design to build. I spent a
good
part of my life as a mechanic, can weld steel and aluminum (stick, mig,
tig), have access to a machine shop. Below is my wish list.

Legal FAR Part 103 (not going to quibble a few pounds but would like it
close)

Built from plans rather then kit

Short takeoff and landing (under 300 feet)

Prefer a high wing

Ability to trailer (wings remove easily)

Prefer tractors to pushers

Big wheels a plus (for field operations)

I tend to prefer "conventional" looking designs like the N-3 Pup or a J-3
kitten but I can't see how it can be kept near 254 without striping it
naked so I'm starting to think a more form follows function design (keep
it simple and to the point and invest the weight where it is useful
rather
then on ascetics). With that in mind I'm looking at designs like the
Dream
Classic or the Weedhopper 40 although both of these are kit. How about
the
Legal Eagle? One other design I was looking at was the Aero Adventure
Aventura UL (even though its out of my price range). Do you get to take
the float allowance flying boat?

Looking forward to your advice;

WayneC

"Steve Ross" wrote in message
. ..
Try looking at an Airbike. I think the plans are out there somewhere.

Blue Skys, Steve

Thanks Steve

Looks fantastic. Found an article on Ultrlight Flyer. In the tabulated specs
it listed empty weight as 300 lbs but in the text it said it was 220
lbs.....
It looks like Ison and site said they now belong to Mini-Max. I hunted
through Mini-Max and found no ref to Airbike or anything that looks like it.

Anyone know where to get plans?