Old August 28th 04, 02:07 PM
Rosspilot

Regardless of what you and I may think about what
small airplanes may or may not be able to accomplish in terms of a terrorist
attack, it is certainly not anti-GA hysteria to discuss the possibility and
to imagine scenarios by which a terrorist could employ a Cessna to wreak
destruction. In fact it would be irresponsible not to consider them.

There is a huge difference between "discussing" them in an academic context,
rationally and analytically with a sincere desire to add a measure of security,
and the obvious media exploitation of the "aviation-phobia" for ratings and
sales revenue. Where did you see any "discussion" taking place?

There
are a lot of advantages to using a small aircraft to transport a bomb or
poison, they can go just about anywhere, and no road or other security
measure is of much use in stopping something that flies through the air. We
may dismiss possible terrorist scenarios as the work of pin-headed
bureacrats in washington (to use everyone's favorite cliche) but I would
think that a small flying machine would offer a lot of enticing
possibilities. Maybe this is why all the interest by AlQaeda in crop dusters
a few years back.

An idea abandoned when they themselves determined that it was impractical.
BTW, what goes on at your airport, anyway? Don't you think if someone wanted
to load up his C-172 with explosives and shrapnel or poisons someone MIGHT
notice?

The responses in this group are far more "knee-jerk" than anything that
appeared in the Globe article. They sound like the typical response of a
special interest group --- lets fight terrorism, but god forbid it might
impinge on my hobby.

It's a lot more than "a hobby" for me. It is how I earn my living, and how I
pursue happiness. I am a proponent of "fighting terrorism", but not of
senseless, ineffective, punitive, restrictive, life-altering and MEANINGLESS
political gestures.

Of course we should not let increased anti-terrorist measures erode our
personal liberties and freedoms we enjoy, including being able to fly our
own machines. Same can be said for right to privacy, freedom of speech etc.
But simply to demonize anyone who discusses the possibilities of using GA in
a terrorist attack, seems to me to be very close-minded.

As I said, enough is enough. No new ground being covered--this has been going
on for 3 years now.

www.Rosspilot.com