Old October 30th 05, 01:10 AM
Matt Whiting

Default non-owner insurance

wrote:

On 29-Oct-2005, Matt Whiting wrote:

When I owned a Skylane, me and my partner had insurance that he'd
obtained by virtue, I believe, of being a veteran (Naval aviator)
through a company I can't recall now. We had $1MM smooth for only
$1,200 per year. However, I've not found a company that will write
anything close to that since 9/11.

My co-owners and I have $1 million "smooth" liability coverage from AIG
Aviation for our '79 Arrow IV. We do pay a few hundred dollars extra per
year for this coverage, but we've never had any problem getting it. For
what it's worth, all three co-owners are instrument rated and have at least
500 hrs total time. Based upon what our broker told us, the IR may make a
difference in being able to get the "smooth" coverage.

Interesting. I wonder if this is a new vs. longstanding policy issue.
I just went back through my email records of companies I had contacted
previously about this and AIG is one that told me no way. Here's the
message:

Novak, Jeff wrote:

The highest limits we would consider for a fixed wing piston aircraft
is $1,000,000 aggregate with $100,000 per passenger.

AIG Aviation, Inc.