Old November 19th 05, 12:18 AM
clipclip clipclip is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom pettit
I'm currently flying VFR in a vfr equipped plane. What would be the lowest
cost GPS based instrument system I could install and be legal for IFR
flying?

I looked through the last six months of this newsgroup, but didn't see a FAQ
or the answer to the above, so I hope it won't be something that was just
hashed out.

thanks,
tom pettit
i bought a garmin 155 TSO ifr certified for $1000 on e-bay with certs, and installed it in my plane - an annunciator to link it to my HSI cost another ~$550 or so. i then got an LSTC for that unit from a DAR for $1000. with installation it ended up costing around $4,000.

the king 90B (or 89B) comes with a generic STC - so you can save yourself the cost of the LSTC. there's usually a few of those for sale on e-bay as well.

an IFR certified installation probably can't be done much under $3,500 by the time you add labour, paperwork, and required accessories such as a CDI or annunciator.

i hope that helps,

francois