Old March 16th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Default Bending longeron

Dennis Fetters wrote:
J.Kahn wrote:
Dennis Fetters wrote:

Well, shoot. I guess I need to stop using ice as a method of bending
tubing if it won't work. I wish I would have know that 30 years ago,
I would have not waited all my time bending tubes that way to keep
them from distorting.......

Dennis can the bending die that is used to set the radius be flat,
like a block of wood with inside radius cut into it?

John

Hi John,

Both the inner and outer die must have the same radius as the tube being
bent. On the outer die, I use a flat bar with the radius cut into it.
(four sides to the bar, four different radius) Then on the back side of
the bar is a roller, that draws the bar around the inner radius, leaving
no scratches on the tube. Hope this helps.

Great Idea, A simple way to obviate having a set of outer rollers ,one
for each size---The bar is only long enough to make the longest curve
you desire, and "floats" between the tube and the roller--i.e. not
attached anywhere on the machine--The roller is mounted on a bar that is
pivoted at the center of the inner rasius die.--then you only have to
have an inner die with the correct radius of the curve & for the tubing.

Jerry