Old September 2nd 04, 11:16 PM
OXMORON1

Ragnar asked:
So ALL 56 aircraft drop on the SAME bridge at low level? How do the last 51
planes even SEE the target with all the smoke and dust?

First, 10,000 feet is not low level.
Second, there should be almost no lag between the release of the first planes
through the release of the last in the flight.
Remember the aircraft are in a tight formation, not spread out all over the
countryside.

Besides defensive firepower, the purpose of the formation was to put as many
a/c over the same point as close to the same time as possible. "Point" being a
relative term.

Art, How long and wide was the formation of one group of B-26s if everything is
going correctly and each airplane was in it's proper place?
Also what is the fall time for a 500 pounder from 10,000 feet (I don't have my
boks handy)?

Not that we ever bombed out a formation, but a twelve ship B-57 formation was
less than 160 yards x 120 yards. Also we weren't stacked in a "Box" which
should tighten up the pattern.

Rick Clark