Old September 25th 05, 03:44 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Opinions, please!

All of your ideas sound good except the annual inspection. I, for one, would
never do that if I felt there was any chance that the IA might find something
that would keep the plane in the shop and extend my visit. The single exception
to that would be if the shop had a reputation for special experience with my
brand of aircraft; for example, I once considered flying the Maule down to
Moultrie and having the annual done by Maule Flight.

On the other hand, all it would cost you to try it is a bit of advertising
expense, right?

As far as a training package goes, there are two types that might be big
winners. One would be a basic package slanted towards overseas customers like
some of the Florida schools do. I don't know how practical that would be for
you, but the way the Florida schools do it, someone from, say, Britain comes
over, stays a month or two, and goes back home with a fresh PPC. IIUC, at least
one of those schools can provide an international or British license, rather
than just an FAA certificate.

The other would be the sort of cram course which you describe. At one time, I
would've been very interested in a package that could've gotten me past the IFR
written in a long weekend. Doing it away from home would have been attractive,
since my employer at the time would call you up and keep you working if you
stayed at home.

George Patterson