Old December 14th 19, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Cleveland

Default 1981 Cobra trailer gas struts

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 7:44:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Here is another possible source:
https://store.easylift.com/gas-springs/

Great response guys. Thanks.

So, as for response;

Nick: Thanks for the Strutwise lead. I've got a friend of mine here in Salt Lake that confirmed his illness. Too bad. I'll reach out just in case.

Richard: I'll give you a call tomorrow. Thanks.

Jim: I hadn't heard of Easylift. I'll reach out to them on Monday.

I've got a query in with Ralf at Spindelberger, as well as the folks at Wings and Wheels. We'll see what turns up. The last word I received was that Spindelberger records for 1981 are a bit sketchy.

The one remaining issue is that I don't know the original strength of the strut. I know that the design that places the strut inside the trailer calls for a gas strut strength of 900N. The folks at Wings and Wheels said the exterior strut design strength may be 760N.

Mine still work, but on a cold day it's a real heft to get the upper clamshell open. I'd hate to replace the struts and then end up with the same situation if the strength is too low.