Old April 21st 14, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Delorme InReach Explorer

Not about the lithium battery, but about the cell phone.

First, I turn my phone off before takeoff. This saves a lot of battery.

Second, since I power my Dell Streak via a switch controlled 12v power
connector (cigarette lighter) and a 12v to USB converter, I bought a twin
jack USB converter so that I can charge my cell in flight off the ship's
batteries (if I want to) and keep my Streak charged. I keep a charge cable
for my phone connected and coiled up so if I land out, I can make sure the
phone is fully charged. I also carry spare batteries for the Spot.

"Ramy" wrote in message
And you can always carry a smal external battery.
I wonder how many XC pilots carry external battery for their cell phone in
case of landout? Otherwise you likely going to run out of your smartphone
battery just before your crew arrives.

Ramy