Old September 8th 04, 05:20 AM
Steve R.

"helicopterandy" wrote in message
m...
Dear Sir or whomever you are (I am responding NOT to the diary writer
here but to the other guy who chose to jump into the middle of this),
I was refering to Mr. Diary writer's stated FIVE MINUTE COOLDOWN of a
helicopter that requires two minute max before clutch disengagement!!!
What's so hard to understand about that? If the guy's school is
making him "cooldown" for five minutes and he's paying for Hobbs time
(and again maybe you don't know what Hobbs time means, it stands for
every second the engine has oil pressure) then he's paying for time
that is absolutely not required and all he's doing is paying for time
"easy time" that the school is not earning. PS I notice he (Mr Diary
Writer)chose not to respond to this question so maybe he's going to
take it up w/ his school as he should!!
$200 plus an hour adds up really fast. Oh yeah...one more thing if I
may: Believe me when I say with absolute certainty that you don't have
the "basics" down at all, in any form or fashion if you've never taken
a lesson. RC hobbycrafts are a wee bit different than the real thing.
Go give it a try.

Regards,
Mark
N26394

Hi Mark,

First, as a matter of fact, I DO know that a Hobbs meter is.

Second, the post I responded to "was" a response from "Mr. Diary Writer."
If you'd have paid a little more attention, you might have caught that, and
he "did" explain the situation with his particular flight school with
regards to the extended cool down time. Maybe you ought to reread that
part.

Third, I do have a bit of duel instruction if full size helicopters so I've
got a better idea of what's involved than you'll probably give me credit
for. Frankly, you don't have a clue as to what I do and do not know on the
"basics" of rotorcraft dynamics. Your response to me simply proves my point
as far as I'm concerned. I've been flying RC helicopters for 22 years and
the little bit of duel instruction I've received in the full size birds only
proved to me that the machines you know and the one's I know aren't that
different in the grand scheme of things. The biggest difference is the
pilots point of view. I'll throw your last statement back at you, "Have you
ever tried the RC side?"

Again, I don't claim to be an expert on everything related to rotorcraft but
I, and a lot of RCer's out there, aren't as ignorant as you seem to think.
Many of us are, but not all! Your attitude was pretty smug with regards to
RCer's and those who choose to fly experimental full size helicopters,
whether you intended it to be or not. Just because the machine is FAA
certified doesn't mean isn't so superior. Yes, there are standards the
machines have to meet but they can still have significant problems. Do a
search on the early history of Robinson's R22. They got off to a pretty
rocky start in the beginning.

Fly Safe,
Steve R.