Old May 23rd 11, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

Default Lift - Newton/Bernoulli ratio...

In article , er, Private
says...

"Dave Doe" wrote in message
In article ,
, Mxsmanic says...

Dave Doe writes:

Does anyone have any figures and references for about what ratio lift
is
produced by Newton's Laws and Bernoulli's Laws?

All lift is produced by Newton's third law of motion. Air is forced
downwards
by the wings, and this produces an equal and opposite force that attempts
raise the wings, and that is lift. How the air is forced downwards is
irrelevant, as long as it happens. In practice, principles discovered by
Bernoulli and others play a role in diverting the air flow when this is
accomplished by an airfoil.

As said in other reply - not looking for a run-down on the physics -
looking for the *ratio* of lift obtained by each.

--
Duncan.

Simple answer, there is no "ratio" -
Newton 100% + Bernoulli 100%, total = 100%

So a wing generates as much lift upside down?

What I want, is half the difference between a wing up the right way, and
the wing up the wrong way. That is, I presume, the additional lifting
force from the Bernoulli effect vs a wing with a mirrored camber
(obtaining no lift due to the Bernoulli effect).

It really is a "chicken or egg" question.

Google "Newton vs. Bernoulli"
and "Newton vs. Bernoulli" NASA

Perhaps it is. I have googled.

I recommend
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/bernnew.html

Been there.

and much more
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/short.html

And there.

When done you can also work (troll?) on other important old disputes
regarding -
high wing vs. low wing,
track up vs. north up,
and slip vs. crab with a kick.

Happy landings,

Not interested in trolling. If you think I am, please do not reply, or
reply and say so, and I will do as such.

--
Duncan.