Old May 9th 04, 03:59 AM
Martin Hellman

In my original post that started this thread, I talked about using the
Rino for "collision avoidance." Some private discussions have made me
realize I should have said "proximity warning". I wasn't suggesting
watching the Rino to tell when you were about to collide with the
other glider, but to tell you when to spend extra time LOOKING for
him.

Knowing when to spend extra time scanning -- with an extra shot of
adrenalin -- would probably have prevented the recent Washington
fatality. And reading the description by the surviving pilot, I can
see that I've been in similar situations several times. Flying with a
friend, we split up to try different areas of lift, can't see each
other, and aren't sure when we come back into danger range unless we
tie up 123.3 or 123.5 or some other frequency -- and even that isn't
possible sometimes due to others tying it up.

Martin