Old May 8th 04, 01:56 AM
Finbar

(Stan) wrote in message om...
I like what you have to say--but,

After 50 years of dealing with the CAA and then the FAA I personally
like Part 103. Further, after spending time with the hang glider and
powered ultralight bunch I am very pleasantly surprised at the level
of aeronautical knowledge and skill, concern for safety and
professionalism I encountered.

Certainly they have some renegades but the majority are great people
who enjoy all the things that most dedicated aviators enjoy.

Wholeheartedly agree: the "no nanny State is looking out for you"
factor, after initially facilitating carnage in hang gliding and early
powered ultralights, has led to the emergence of a very responsible,
safety-conscious group of pilots operating remarkably innovative and
airworthy equipment under Part 103. The emergence of private
certification under HGMA has shown that you don't actually need the
government to certificate aircraft: the market will demand - and
provide - due diligence on the safety of new designs.

Unfortunately "mainstream" flying and the public are used to relying
on a "nanny State" and we probably don't want the carnage that would
initially result if everyone were subjected to the level of personal
responsibility implied by Part 103. In any case, the regulations are
there, and they weren't designed for the SparrowHawk. I wonder what
will happen now.