Old March 6th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

Default KAUG Notam Question

On 5 Mar 2007 13:33:06 -0800, "Brad" wrote:

On Mar 3, 11:22 am, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
KAUG AUGUSTA STATE

04/001 - WAAS LPV WAAS LNAV/VNAV OTS WIE UNTIL UFN

This Notam has been posted, well, since April.

No one seems to be sure of what it means.

Translating the abbreviations into English is easy enough. The Notam
basically states that the LPV and LNAV/VNAV approaches are out of service
until further notice.

BUT,

Published guidance, that I have been able to locate, with regard to GPS
WAAS Notams indicates that the terms "unreliable" or "unavailable" should
be used and says nothing about OTS. If the Notam does read UNREL or
UNAVAIL, guidance allows you to execute the approach if the signal is
adequate.

Again, there is no guidance regarding OTS.

Furthermore, the office in OK that issues GPS Notams tell me it didn't come
from them, and it is a D-Notam. They don't know what it means or who
issued it.

I've contacted (or been bounced from) a few other offices having to do with
Notams, without finding anyone who can explain this.

(When I called the Bangor FSS, they said they didn't know and advised me to
contact the "FAA" :-))

My sense is that this may be a Notam that was issued contrary to guidance,
and should have been removed long ago, but was not. But perhaps someone
has a better explanation.

And, two days ago, the signal on an LPV approach at that airport was
adequate for my CNX80 to give me an LPV annunciation.

Thanks for letting me know about this Ron. I'm working with folks
associated with the NOTAM office to correct this. I'll report back
when I hear more.

Great. Thanks.

So far I've spoken with people who issue GPS Notams (in OK), regular Notams
(in or near DC); flight standards near Boston and flight procedures (I
think in Atlanta). No one seems to know -- several have said they are
looking into it. The most logical theory is that it was issued a long time
ago as a D-Notam, perhaps even before (or in spite of) current published
guidance.

My guess is that it should be changed from OTS to UNREL, as GPS WAAS
signals are flaky in Maine, in general.

I've seen it there for a long time, but did not feel the impetus to call
and investigate until after flying the approach (which I did VFR) and
finding the signal to be good.

Do you have a position with the FAA, Brad?