Old October 11th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default ADSB panel display

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 10:49:56 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
You do realize that almost every glider flying around Minden has Flarm, so your highest risk in Minden area is glider midair.(snip) Ramy

If those over 100 gliders around Minden don't have a transponder (because they gave a priority to the PowerFlarm), they are a threat to the GA in the area, and anywhere else. If they do have transponders, they will be seen on ADSB (and PF)devices.

What I resist and can't agree with is that PowerFlarm supporters expect that gliders, with their very limited panels space and electrical energy supply, be equipped with BOTH a transponder AND the Flarm. Telling us that if you can't afford both, PowerFlarm should be your first choice, contradicts my experience. And yes, I have flown at Minden (got my Gold there, missed Diamond by 210 meters), and at Seminole, and from Tom Knauff's Ridge Gliderport, and in California and in Michigan. It was in Julian, PA, that an airliner approaching State College called on the radio asking if there were gliders over the ridge. Had I had a transponder, he would have seen me without asking. The PowerFlarm alone wouldn't have helped. Yes, what we need is a device combining both, ideally… and in the meantime - wait, there no meantime, get the ADS-B now!